Become a Tutor
The Math Success Center hires PCC students as Academic Success Tutors (AST). As an AST, PCC students can be an MSC Center Tutor and/or an MSC Embedded Tutor. MSC Center Tutors will tutor various students who visit the MSC. MSC Embedded Tutors will work together with an instructor in the classroom assisting their students. The courses we provide tutoring for are Math 3, 8, 5A, 5B, 5C, 10, 15, and Stat 50.
For all tutors we select full-time students (at least 6 units) who can satisfy the following required criteria:
- Have a minimum grade of B in the course(s) in which they will tutor. (MSC Center Tutors must have a minimum course completion of Math 5A.);
- Must have a math faculty reference;
- Speak fluent English;
- Demonstrate ability to clearly explain mathematical concepts;
- Have a warm and friendly manner;
- Available to work at least two semesters; and
- Possess a valid social security card or permission from the International Students Office.
How to Apply
The application process includes the following steps:
The MSC is currently hiring tutors to start Fall 2021 semester.
- Click here to fill out and submit the tutor application. Please make sure you have a math faculty reference and upload your unofficial transcript.
- The MSC Staff will contact you to make an appointment for an interview session with the MSC Staff and Coordinator.
- If hired, MSC staff will contact you with further information on being authorized to begin work.
After you complete the above steps, the MSC will notify you of approval by HR to start working. You will not be able to begin working until you have been authorized by HR.
If you'd like more information about how to apply to become an MSC tutor, please visit the Math Success Center in R-406 or contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.