Become a Tutor at the ESL Center
Interested in becoming a tutor? If you’re a PCC student who has received a grade of A or B in English 1A, you have a good command of the English language, and are interested in helping others develop their English skills, we invite you to be an ESL tutor!
Job Description & Duties
The starting salary for tutors is $11/hour. As a tutor, you will be expected to:
- Assess language skills needed of students who are currently enrolled in ESL classes and provide specialized tutoring individually and in groups.
- Assist students with specific classroom assignments related to English grammar, composition, and reading.
- Provide or direct students to appropriate learning materials for specific language skill needs.
- Discuss and review homework assignments with students.
- Work with students to improve their writing assignments.
- Assist students as needed with computing services and the use of word processing.
- Complete the tutor training program.
- Attend tutor meetings and workshops, and observe one ESL class per semester.
To be a tutor, you must meet the following required qualifications:
- Successful completion of English 1A with a B or higher at PCC within the past academic year (copy of your transcript required).
- Faculty recommendation from a PCC faculty member.
- Commitment of two consecutive semesters (Fall and Spring).
All qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the selection process, which includes:
- A written test
- An interview which includes tutoring role-play
- A grammar/punctuation exam
You must successfully complete each part to continue in the selection process. This is an open continuous recruitment position and a continuous examination process. We reserve the right to modify the above-stated examination components and weights prior to or after the administration of any test part.
Application and Schedule
To apply as an ESL tutor, come to C-247 to fill out a Tutor Application or visit our Canvas Page to download an application and submit it to the Languages & ESL Division Office (C-247), attention Charlene Potter.
Or, if you have any questions about the current need for tutors, contact Charlene Potter at (626)-585-3388 or email@example.com.