The purpose of the ESL Center is to provide course-related English language assistance in an interactive study environment which supports the general education outcome of communication for all non-native English speakers at Pasadena City College. The Center facilitates independent student learning with the aim of improving student retention and success, while also serving as a hub for faculty, students, and staff to engage in a vibrant community of practice for excellent teaching and learning for students of other languages.
Student Learning Outcomes
Non-native English speaking PCC students will:
- demonstrate a higher level of English communication in their courses (both ESL and
non-ESL) as a result of the instructional support received in the ESL Center, as evidenced
by one or more of the following:
- successful completion of classroom assignments
- improved English speaking (formal & informal) & pronunciation
- increase in textbook reading & understanding
- improved paragraph and essay writing
- improved note-taking/listening in English
- increased classroom participation
- identify their learning needs through consultation and self-assessment leading to active learning behaviors as a result of tutoring, workshops, study groups and participation in the ESL Center.