The Mission of the Writing Support Centers is to promote the development of good writing skills necessary for all PCC students to become confident, independent writers. We work to accomplish our mission through one-on-one consultations and small group discussions about writing assignments, by listening and responding to student ideas, and by showing students how to access and utilize a variety of resources to improve their writing.
The WSC West provides support for development of speaking, listening, and pronunciation skills as well, particularly for students whose native language is not English.
Student Learning Outcomes
Non-native English speaking PCC students using the WSC West will:
- demonstrate a higher level of English communication in their courses (both ESL and
non-ESL) as a result of the instructional support received in the WSC West, as evidenced
by one or more of the following:
- successful completion of classroom assignments
- improved English speaking (formal & informal) & pronunciation
- increase in textbook reading & understanding
- improved paragraph and essay writing
- improved note-taking/listening in English
- increased classroom participation
- identify their learning needs through consultation and self-assessment, leading to active learning behaviors as a result of tutoring, workshops, study groups and participation in the Center.