When Do You Need a New Visa

If the visa stamp in your passport has expired, you will need to get a new visa stamp the next time you leave the United States for home or any country. It is NOT necessary to have a valid stamp while studying and remaining within the U.S. with your PCC I-20.

Special Note:

  • Possible delay of several weeks in F-1 visa issuance/renewal
  • If you need or plan to renew your F-1 visa, you must apply in your country of citizenship or residence. Contact the U.S. Embassies/Consulates in advance for additional information such as appointments and interviews. For visa wait time in your country, please log on to http://www.travel.state.gov/ (link)  
  • Special security checks will be enforced at U.S. visa posts in 26 countries that will take up to 20 days. Countries affected are: Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
  • Delays may also be found in Bangladesh and India.

How to Apply for a New Visa

  1. Complete Travel Request Form.
  2. Submit them at the ISC counter along with the following:
    1. Original I-20
    2. Copy of passport
    3. Copy of Visa Page
    4. Copy of I-94
    5. Copy of any red stamp in your passport
  3. Pick up your I-20.
  4. Obtain evidence of bank funds you have from your sponsor. You may need to submit an Affidavit of Support (I-864 Form).
  5. Take your I-20 with a travel signature, bank statement, transcript, and your passport with you when you leave the U.S.
  6. Go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country of citizenship or residence with all of the above documents.
  7. Upon your return, bring your passport to our office to submit a copy of your visa stamp in your file.


  • It is a good idea to have a copy of your entire passport in a safe place in case it is lost or stolen.
  • You cannot renew an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate in a country other than your own.