Health Care & Insurance
As an international student, it is very important to maintain your health to achieve learning success. The International Student Center will do our best to help you with your health needs.
Student Health Services at PCC
The Student Health Center provides clinical care for you and is designed to address health promotion, disease prevention, short-term acute illnesses, and injuries and to assist in finding resources to manage your health conditions. Eligible students can make use of PCC clinical health services for immunizations, dental care, STD testing, smoking cessation, and women's health services.
Personal Counseling at PCC
The Personal Counseling Program is committed to helping college students increase their awareness, knowledge, and resources in order to successfully meet the challenges of encountering new ideas, relating to others from diverse backgrounds, and coping with the transitions of adulthood. Learning to master these challenges will enhance your psychological, interpersonal, educational, and career development while at PCC and long after leaving the campus.
All F-1 Visa international students are required to purchase medical insurance from PCC. The cost of insurance will be added to your tuition and fees at registration. The PCC medical insurance plan is detailed below.
- Insurance Company: GeoBlue
- Cost: $600 per each 6 months (subject to change)
- Coverage Dates:
- Fall Semester: July 1 to December 31
- Spring Semester: January 1 to June 30
- Coverage: Medical and Behavioral Health services
- Dental and Vision Care not covered
- Insurance ID Card:
- It will be mailed to you approximately one month after payment
- Carry the ID Card with you at all times
- You can also call Ascension and have it emailed to you by attachment
- Insurance Claim Form: 4studenthealth.relationinsurance.com/ or (800) 537-1777
- Click here for information on your PCC health plan
- Click here to register for your GeoBlue health insurance account
- Once registered, you will need to login to access your insurance card and information. This is where you can find a doctor, contact GeoBlue, and get other information about your health insurance
International Students attending PCC are mandated to purchase the medical insurance policy provided by PCC. Medical care in the United States is very expensive, as well as complicated. When an unforeseen accident or illness occurs, it is important that you have insurance to cover the high costs of medical treatment. When used in accordance with the guidelines, the insurance policy the college provides is designed to cover 100% of medical treatment that a student receives and 50% of medication costs that are prescribed. For more information or to schedule an appointment, representatives can be reached at (800) 537-1777.
A co-payment is the amount of money you pay your provider (doctor/hospital) each time you receive medical care. Your co-pay for a doctor visit is $25 and $100 for a hospital visit. These fees are non-refundable.
$$ Saving Tip: If you plan to see a doctor for a non-urgent matter, see the Health & Wellness - Health Services or Health & Wellness - Personal Counseling in advance. Your $25 co-payment may be waived.
A deductible is the amount of money you must pay out of pocket for your medical services before the insurance company starts paying. You do not have a deductible; you only have a co-payment.
PCC only provides F-1 visa students with medical care coverage, not dental and vision. They are recognized as separate plans. For more information about adding vision or dental to your plan, please contact a representative at (800) 537-1777.
If you’ve paid your health insurance fees and do not receive your insurance ID card in the mail within about three weeks, call (800) 537- 1777 to request a duplicate ID card. Always report a change of address to the insurance company. Carry your Insurance ID card with you at all times. You may also download a copy of your insurance ID card from www.renstudent.com. You may also request a copy of your card by email.
A Claim Form is a form you must fill out with each medical condition you have. It must be filled out completely, and you send it to the insurance company. If you receive medical treatment and do not fill out a Claim Form, your medical bill will not be paid.
Go to the Student Health Services first for a referral because a Campus Health Center referral will waive your co-pay charge:
- If the Student Health Services cannot treat you or is closed, go to one of the urgent care centers approved by your Insurance Plan. Please note that use of an urgent care center instead of a hospital emergency room may decrease your out-of-pocket expenses. You may also refer to the Student Insurance Website to search for an individual doctor.
- If you have specific questions about your insurance you can contact the insurance company directly at (800) 537-1777 or visit their Website. In order to for a medical bill be paid at 100%, the doctor or hospital must be a member of the Preferred Provider Organization (Blue Cross).
Go to 4studenthealth.relationinsurance.com/ and follow these steps:
- Select Pasadena City College.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page & follow the directions to find a doctor of your choice.
- Call to schedule an appointment with the doctor.
The www.renstudent.com link will also give you access to the following:
- Download your medical insurance ID card.
- Review your insurance plan benefits and coverage dates/status.
- Download claims forms and instructions.
- Search for a doctor.
- Translate medication names, medical phrases and terms.
- Important telephone numbers.
This means your insurance only covers you when you’re sick or you’ve had an accident. In addition, there is an annual woman’s wellness visit, which includes a pap smear and a breast exam.
PPO stands for Preferred Provider Organization. It is the network of all doctors, specialists and hospitals that accept the PCC insurance plan. All of those listed are available to you for consultation and treatment. Always check that they are still participating providers.
If you use a doctor or hospital that is not a member of the Preferred Provider Organization, you will be responsible for 25% of the eligible expenses charged.
Always bring the following:
- Your insurance ID card
- A referral from the PCC Health Center
- Photo identification
If the bills are given or sent to you, send copies of them to the Claims Department. The Claims Department may respond if further information is needed. Send your copies to the following address: BC – Life & Health PO Box 60007 Los Angeles, CA 90060-0007.
If you have paid out-of-pocket for a prescription, doctor visit, etc., you will need to submit a claim for a reimbursement. If you do not have a claim form, you may download one at www.renstudent.com (link), and send only copies of the claim form and receipts to the above address.
You may contact the Claims Department directly by calling (888) 850-4770.
Every case is treated confidentially by Health Services and Personal Counseling on campus. No information will be released without your expressed written consent.
No other insurance policies will be accepted as a substitute for the one that PCC provides. International students attending PCC are mandated to purchase the medical insurance policy provided by PCC.
Any treatment received outside of California is covered at 100% for PPO and 75% for NON-PPO after the co-pays. You should still send copies of all bills, receipts, and other information to the following address: BC – Life & Health PO Box 60007 Los Angeles, CA 90060-0007.
Local Urgent Care
Some immediate medical care can be provided at urgent care clinics. Using these clinics can also decrease your out-of-pocket costs. The table below lists the hours and locations of some local urgent care facilities:
Healthcare Partners- 24 hours
- 24 hours
- 797 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena, CA 91105
- (626) 795-2244
West Coast Urgent Care
- Mon. - Fri.: 9am - 9pm
Sat. - Sun.: 9am - 3pm
- 600 S. Lake Ave., #105 Pasadena, CA 91106
- (626) 844-8848
Pasadena Community Urgent Care Center
- Open 7 days a week, 7am-10pm
- 3160 East Del Mar Bl. Pasadena, CA 91107
- (626) 270-2400
Minute Clinic (Inside CVS- local clinics) – minor care only
- Visit the Minute Clinic Website to find a location near you.