Prepare for Housing
PCC, like most community colleges in the U.S., does not offer any dormitories or boarding. But, many convenient housing options are available near campus, including apartments, shared housing, and homestays.
Apartments and Rentals
Students can rent a studio or a one-bedroom apartment, share an apartment with another person, or rent a room in a house. The selection of apartments and rentals is extensive, and the price the price range varies. For planning purposes, the average price of a room in Pasadena is $600-$1000/month.
Look Carefully at the Rental Property
- Check if everything is working properly (air conditioner/heater, faucets, toilet, hot water etc.)
- Check to see if your room is clean and ready for you to move in
- Point out to the landlord any cracks/damages already there and take photos of them for your own records for evidence
Confirm Rental Terms
This list of questions will clarify some of the information all renters and lessees need when they enter into a new rental or lease agreement:
- How much is the rent? Are the utilities (gas/electricity/wifi/trash) included?
- How much is the deposit? Is it refundable?
- How long is the lease? What if I need to move out earlier?
- When can I move in? When is the rent due each month?
- What is the penalty on late rent payment?
- Who do I call for a repair? Who pays for repairs? How long will it take for a repair?
- Can I use the living room/kitchen/laundry room?
If you are satisfied with the arrangement, you can sign the lease or any rental agreement. You should receive your key as soon as you sign the lease and pay the deposit and/or first month’s rent. Be sure to put everything in writing, and request a copy of the written leasing agreement.