PCC offers several Child Development Certificates.  The certificates document that you have completed all courses required for the Child Development program.

A Child Development Permit is issued by the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.  There are six different levels of the permit.  The requirements for each are explained on the Child Development Permit Matrix. Learn more about the permit.

Both Certificates are issued through the Social Sciences Division.

The Occupational Certificates are fewer units and do not show on your official transcript. 

The Certificate of Achievement is (36 units) and will show on your official transcript from PCC. 

To apply for a certificate go to the Social Sciences Office C-321 or online, where applications are available.  Once completed, return completed application to the Social Sciences Office, C-321.

Reminder: You must complete the required courses with a grade of “C” or better. 

Certificates will be mailed after processing. Processing of the certificates occurs twice a year at the end of the Fall and Spring semesters.

No, however you do need specific units to work in the field and the Certificates from Pasadena City College, meet the requirements for employment.  Certificates are a good way to enhance a resume by showing academic and professional progress and dedication.  Certificates are not linked to an Elementary or Secondary teaching credential. 

Yes, the requirements are different.

Public Funded Programs: California State Law (Title 5) requires that anyone working in a publicly funded early childhood program hold a State of California Child Development Permit.  The Child Development permits are issued through the California Department of Education, Commission on Teacher Credentialing.  However, all of the courses needed can be completed at Pasadena City College.  Pasadena City College is a VOC campus, which means the Child Development faculty can assist you with your application, approve your courses and sign the necessary papers for faster processing of your State Permit. See Child Development Faculty for assistance.

Private Funded Programs:  California State Law (Title 22) requires that anyone working with children under the age of five years old must have a minimum of 12 units of Child Development.  The recommended courses which meet the 12 unit requirements at Pasadena City College are: 

  • PSYC 21 Developmental Psychology: The Child
  • CHDV 10, Introduction to Child Development
  • CHDV 15 Home, School and Community, and
  • CHDV 020 Curriculum Planning,

*See a Child Development faculty member for additional options to meet Title 22 requirements.

For CHDV 13A/13AF  Beginning Field Practice, you need to:

  • Have completed PSYC 21 and CHDV 10 with a grade of “C” or better grade before you will be allowed to enroll.  NOTE: There is no concurrent enrollment. 
  • Be enrolled in a total of 7 CHDV units, including CHDV 13A/13AF. 
  • CHDV 020 Curriculum Planning is recommended, however any Child Development class will allow you to enroll in CHDV 13A Beginning Field Practice.

No. You do not need to be employed in the field to take field practice.  If you are not employed, with assistance from your instructor, you will be placed at the Pasadena City College Child Development Center and/or a State of California Mentor Site.

For students working in the field:
You must be employed in an APPROVED licensed or license-exempt program for young children for 15-20 hours per week.  Most licensed programs that are developmentally appropriate will qualify for field practice. Your field practice instructor will let you know if your site qualifies as a supervised field practice site.  If your site does not qualify, you will participate at the PCC/CDC or a Mentor site, as designed by the instructor.

To complete field practice you need 120 hours for each section (CHDV 13A/13AF and CHDV 13B/13BF). This averages about 15 hours a week. 

Hours can be a combination of the following: 

  1. Paid employment with young children 
  2. Pasadena City College Child Development Center  
  3. State of California Mentor Teacher site. 

Be mindful of your schedule and allow the necessary time to successfully complete the hours required for each course.

The Department of Social Services Child Care Licensing Division requires 15 hours of health training in CPR, First Aid and prevention of infectious diseases. You can complete this training at PCC in CHDV 116.


The Department of Social Services Child Care Licensing Division requires a minimum of 12 core units of Child Development, plus an Administration course (CHDV 112A) and experience working in a Child Development program for 4 years.  

There are other possibilities to quality, which combine education and experience, contact the CCLD for details. The Department of Social Services also requires you to attend an orientation meeting that reviews all licensing requirements and provider’s instructions on how to complete the licensing application.  

Taking CHDV classes and majoring in Child Development is highly recommended for teachers.  Understanding child growth and development is a good choice for any prospective teacher. 

You should consult with your counselor and/or the Hixon Teacher Preparation  programs resource center (Child Development Center Room 219) to receive the most current information.

Yes, with 12 specific units in CHDV you will be qualified, as a teacher in a private (Title XXII) program for young children. However, most directors hire the applicants with the most units and experience.  It is recommended that you contact the prospective employer to inquire about their individual employment requirements. 

There are many schools that only hire applicants with an AA or BA degree in the field and/or a State of California Child Development Permit. The more education and experience you have the more desirable you will be in a competitive job market.

There is a wide rage of pay in this profession, from minimum wage to much higher.  It very often depends on the school, the funding, education and experience working with children.

Yes, it is required for anyone working in the field of childcare. At Pasadena City College once enrolled in CHDV 13A and 13AF you will be required to have a fingerprint clearance. It is your responsibility to pay for the clearance, which ranges from $65 - 100.

Your field practice instructor can assist you with the process of possibility clearing your fingerprints.  During this process, you will need to drop CHDV 13A and 13AF, until your fingerprints are cleared.  Your fingerprints must be cleared in order to be employed in childcare.  It is best to deal with any fingerprint issue, while in school, rather than when looking for employment.

Yes, working with young children requires a negative TB test result.  If your test is positive, you need to have an x-ray of your chest.  This test will show if you have TB or TB infection.  The good news is: TB can be cured, see your physician immediately and follow the medicine plan.  

TB test are available at PCC Student Health Services, D-105