To fulfill your IGETC requirement, you must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English.  You may fulfill those requirements by taking the required language courses at at PCC. If you are already proficient in a language other than English, you may demonstrate that in the following ways:

  1. Complete two years of high school coursework in one language other than English with a grade of C or better. 
    You must send your official U.S. transcript to the PCC Admissions & Records Office
  2. Achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination in a language other than English. (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese & Spanish)
    You must have your official scores sent to PCC from the the College Board. Download Form.
    • Score of 3 = Foreign Language 1
    • Score of 4 = Foreign Language 2
    • Score of 5 = Foreign Language 3
  3. Achieve a satisfactory score on the SAT Subject Test in languages other than English. Official scores must be sent from the College Board to PCC Admissions & Records Office.
    • Chinese With Listening: 520
    • French/French With Listening: 500/540
    • German/German With Listening: 500/510
    • Hebrew (Modern): 500/470
    • Italian: 500/520
    • Japanese With Listening: 500/510
    • Korean/Korean With Listening: 500
    • Latin: 500/530
    • Spanish/Spanish With Listening: 500/520
  4. Achieve a score of 5 or higher on an International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination in a language other than English. Official scores must be sent to PCC Admissions & Records Office.
  5. Earn a passing grade on the International A level or O level exam in a language other than English. Official scores must be sent to PCC Admissions & Records Office.
  6. Complete, with grades of C or better, two years of formal schooling at the sixth-grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English.
    • If secondary school was completed in a country that speaks a language other than English and the language of instruction of the secondary school was not English, language other than English proficiency can be certified for IGETC without further evaluation. You must present appropriate documentation of attendance at the secondary school. We maintain strict confidentiality; therefore we can only accept documentation from the student in person in Languages and ESL Division, C247. A PCC Lancer ID card is required. We regret that we cannot accept documents electronically or by fax transmission.
  7. Satisfactorily complete a proficiency test administered by a community college, university or other college in a language other than English. The test must assess the student proficiency at a level equivalent to at least two years of high school language.
  8. Not available at PCC - If an appropriate achievement test is not available to assert proficiency, have competency verified by a faculty member associated with a California community college. Such verification requires that the college provide a document on letterhead asserting that the student's proficiency in the language is equivalent to two years of high school study.

View IGETC Requirements  Learn More About IGETC