Culinary Arts - Catering
This program is not being offered during the current academic year. Please explore our other certificate and degree offerings.
This program offers students training in two aspects of the catering business: entry level employment skills and small business operation/ownership. The curriculum includes: introduction to catering for small-scale events and advanced catering business practices for large-scale events; kitchen safety and sanitation; tools and equipment identification, usage and care; product identification and costing for catered events; time management for seeking employment with catering facilities at hotels, casinos, resorts and country clubs. For seekers of self-employment, studies will include employment/workers compensation requirements (Employment Department); safe packing and transportation of products; event rentals; site dining/serving setup/take down; time management; commissary development and leasing; legal liabilities and responsibilities; contract negotiations and customer service relations.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate the capability to acquire and operate a catering business.
- Explain the skills to establish professional contacts with reputable purveyors of qualified and quantity products in the operation of a catering business.
- Develop the business skills of record-keeping in all aspects of a professional business; as well develop professional standards of conduct and attitudes necessary to operate a catering business.
- Practice safe food handling/packing and transportation of customers ordered products necessary to operate a catering business.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize on site dining/serving, setup/takedown of catered facilities in an orderly and timely manner.
- Explain all legal documentation for a facility rental, sanitation certification, business licenses, and employee compensation as required by local authorities.
Requirements for the Occupational Skills Certificate
Required Units: 6
- CUL 160A – Introduction to Catering (3)
- CUL 160B – Advanced Catering (3)