Culinary Arts - Baking & Pastry
This program is not being offered during the current academic year. Please explore our other certificate and degree offerings.
This program offers students study in baking and pastry techniques for seeking entry-level employment in the industry. The curriculum includes: introduction to small-scale baking and pastry, and techniques for large quantity baking and pastry procedures; kitchen safety and sanitation; tools and equipment identification, usage and care; product identification; measurements and temperature controls; time management; product costing for retail sales; proper mixing and baking techniques for breads, cakes, cookies, laminated doughs, and fancy pastries; assembling three-layer cakes to multiple-tiered cakes and intricate decorating.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate culinary arts skills in the baking and cake decorating field.
- Identify usage of baking products by types for making high quality and large quantity baked goods.
- Practice sanitation regulations established by the local Department of Environmental Health, pertaining to personal hygiene, kitchen and equipment management.
- Explain the value of teamwork required in the food service industry.
- Demonstrate the manipulative skills and technical requirements in the baking and cake decorating field.
Requirements for the Occupational Skills Certificate
Required Units: 6
- CUL 154A – Introduction to Food Service Baking & Pastry (3)
- CUL 154B – Advanced Baking and Pastry (3)