Culinary Arts - Baking and Pastry
This program offers students study in baking and pastry techniques for seeking entry-level employment in the industry. The curriculum includes: introduction to small-scale baking and pastry, and techniques for large quantity baking and pastry procedures; kitchen safety and sanitation; tools and equipment identification, usage and care; product identification; measurements and temperature controls; time management; product costing for retail sales; proper mixing and baking techniques for breads, cakes, cookies, laminated doughs, and fancy pastries; assembling three-layer cakes to multiple-tiered cakes and intricate decorating.
An Occupational Skills Certificate is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate culinary arts skills in the baking and cake decorating field.
- Identify usage of baking products by types for making high quality and large quantity baked goods.
- Practice sanitation regulations established by the local Department of Environmental Health, pertaining to personal hygiene, kitchen and equipment management.
- Explain the value of teamwork required in the food service industry.
- Demonstrate the manipulative skills and technical requirements in the baking and cake decorating field.
Requirements for the Occupational Skills Certificate
Required Units: 6
- CUL 154A – Introduction to Food Service Baking & Pastry (3)
- CUL 154B – Advanced Baking and Pastry (3)