Automotive Technology- Underhood Technician
The curriculum prepares the student for entry-level employment in an automotive engine repair facility or engine machine shop. Students will receive instruction and hands-on experience in removing, measuring, rebuilding, and adjusting automotive engines. The use of precision equipment and specialty tools is practiced. Students are encouraged to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Exam for Engine Repair (A1).
This program has lab fees, uniform and DMV requirements. Please inquire with Division on those course preparations. This curriculum is National Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) approved and renewed in 2016.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Prepare students for successful completion of the Automotive Service Excellence examination; A1 – Engine Repair.
- Demonstrate and integrate the proper set up and operation of engine mechanical system diagnostic tools used in the automotive industry.
- Describe engine mechanical operating systems and control assemblies, their theories of operation and practical diagnostic scenarios used to track failed components or systems encountered during engine repair.
- Apply skill sets pertaining to the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) standards and performance tasks for automotive engine repair.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 18
- AUTO 200 - Automotive Fundamentals for Technicians (4)
- ELTN 130 - Introduction to Electronics (3)
- AUTO 220 - Engine Operation and Testing (5)
- AUTO 221 - Engine Machining and Rebuilding (6)
- MACH 101 - Beginning Metalworking Skills (3)
- MACH 220 - Machine Shop Technology (9)
- WELD 044A - Introduction to Gas Welding (1)
WELD 200C - Semi-Automatic and Gas Tungsten Welding (10)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.