Graphic Communications Technology - Screen Printing
This curriculum prepares students in the state-of-the-art techniques used to apply text, graphics and other images to a wide variety of surfaces and materials. Our goal is to prepare students to plan, anticipate, accurately prepare for and print, and thoroughly clean up a job in any one of the many printing areas. Students can learn the basics or expand on skills they have already attained. Instruction covers a wide range of techniques, inks and surfaces; safety and health issues; and training on common types of equipment. Employment opportunities are vast, in local sign, t-shirt and supply firms, both large and small. Many students opt to open their own businesses.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate basic and advanced techniques for screen printing on a variety of standard substrates.
- Discuss organization, clean up and safety issues for a screen printing shop.
- Produce accurately registered multiple color graphics on a variety of standard substrates with appropriate inks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the career paths available in Screen Printing.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 34-39:
- ART 031A - Color and Composition-Two Dimensional Design (3)
- GRFX 115 - Beginning Screen Printing for Textile Applications (2)
- GRFX 132A - Introductory Screen Printing (4)
or both GRFX 013 - Screen Printing-Plastics (3)
and GRFX 134A - Screen Printing Fundamentals for Sales and Marketing (3)
- GRFX 116 - Advanced Screen Printing for Textile Applications (2)
- GRFX 135 - Intro to Electronic Prepress Techniques for Screen Printing (2)
- GRFX 132B - Intermediate Screen Printing (4)
or both GRFX 113 - Intermediate Screen Printing (3)
and GRFX 134B - Screen Printing for Sales and Marketing (3)
- GRFX 137 - Screen Printing Techniques for Flat Stock (2)
- GRFX 220 - Basic Digital Imagining (3)
- GRFX 133A - Advanced Screen Printing for Plastics and Rigid Substrates (4)
or both GRFX 114A - Production Screen Printing (3)
and GRFX 134C - Screen Printing-Two and Three Colors (2)
- GRFX 221 - Advanced Digital Imaging-Web (3)
- GRFX 133B - Production Screen Printing (5)
or both GRFX 114B - Advanced Screen Printing (3)
and GRFX 134D - Screen Printing-Four and Six Colors (2)
- ART 050A - Introduction to Graphic Design & Advertising (3)
- BUS 112 - Business English (3)
- BUS 116 - Small Business Management (3)
- GRFX 245A - Basic Photoshop Techniques for Graphic Communications Technology (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.