Computer Information Systems - Operations
This curriculum prepares students with entry-level skills to seek employment in client/server operations for business or technical support staff. Instruction includes training in the fields of client/server applications, database, SQL, and operating systems. Students must be willing to spend time outside of class working on assignments.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- 1. Demonstrate an understanding of basic computer operations and industry-standard operation systems utilized on personal computers.
- Apply skills needed to:
- Keep track of all processing on a CPU and respond to the needs of the system.
- Use computer-based technology to locate, access, evaluate, store and retrieve information.
- Create and maintain a basic spreadsheet.
- Execute Operating System commands, use utility programs as needed, and maintain information storage and retrieval systems.
- Secure employment in an entry-level operations position to support a client-server network.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 19 units
- CIS 010 - Introduction to Information Systems (3)
- CIS 062 - Introduction to Systems Analysis (3)
- CIS 011 - Information and Communication Technology Essentials (4)
- CIS 132 - Fourth Generation Languages (3)
- CIS 031 - Database Systems (3)
- CIS 115 - Microcomputer Field Practice (2)
- CIS 135 - Client/Server Development (1)
- BIT 105A - Business Software-Microsoft Access Level (1.5)
- CIS 030 - Networks and Telecommunications (3)
- CIS 081 - Advanced Microcomputer Applications (3)
- ENGL 100 - Reading and Writing Skills (4)
- SPCH 125 - Professional Communication (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.