Design Technology - Mechanical + Manufacturing
The Design Technology Mechanical + Manufacturing program prepares students to work in mechanical design, industrial design, or manufacturing areas as entry level designers, virtual and rapid prototype builders, or ComputerAided Design (CAD)/ComputerAided Manufacturing (CAM) technicians. The program builds on the CAD Technician - Mechanical Design + Manufacturing Occupational Skills Certificate and leads to the Associate in Arts Degree in Engineering and Technology, as well as providing a transfer pathway to Baccalaureate programs in Engineering Technology.
The emphasis is on creating original solutions to engineering design technology problems through rigorous design and prototyping processes, using digital rapid prototyping technologies, within a collaborative, project-based environment consistent with advanced manufacturing industry demands of a globalized, sustainable economy.
With a focus on communication skills and creative critical thinking, entry level students develop engineering design solutions through research, prototyping, analysis and evaluation in an iterative process involving preliminary sketching, 2D and 3D CAD drawing and parametric modeling, rapid prototyping using 3D printing, laser and plasma cutting, CNC milling and forming, micro controllers and mechatronics. Advanced students develop complex design solutions integrating multiple technologies and procedures for real world application in competitions, entrepreneurial ventures and startups in an industry incubator model.
The program includes integrated, contextualized academics, industry credentialing, interdisciplinary collaboration, professional development and work experience opportunities to develop long term transferable skills sets aligned to work force needs evidenced through advisory groups and industry engagement. Graduating students work under the supervision of qualified engineers, industrial designers, product designers or advanced manufacturing technicians at professional offices meeting customer requirements and deadlines by realizing products in a production system.
This program prepares students for entry into high demand fields in advanced manufacturing, industrial design, engineering and specialized fabrication areas from aerospace to entertainment and medical technology.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all courses with a grade of C or better.
1. Apply design technology principles and processes to create original, comprehensive solutions to complex engineering design and fabrication problems.
2. Utilize appropriate technologies and techniques to produce complex iterative prototypes within a digital workflow to meet industry standards and criteria.
3. Communicate effectively using audience appropriate technical, graphical, oral and written formats in the critical evaluation of processes and products.
4. Collaborate effectively in diverse teams to identify, analyze and solve technical problems of contemporary professional, societal and global importance.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 20-28
- DT 008A - Introduction to Digital Design and Fabrication (3)
- DT 008B - Intermediate Digital Design and Fabrication (3)
- DT 008C - Advanced Systems Design and Fabrication (4)
- ENGL 100 - Reading and Writing Skills (4)
- MATH 125 - Beginning Algebra (4)
Select one course from the following:
- DT 110 - Sustainable Technologies (3)
- DT 105 - Emerging Applied Technologies (2)
- MIT 101 - Introduction to Robotics (4)
- ART 033A - Product Design Application (3)
- MACH 101 - Beginning Metalworking Skills (3)
- WELD 200A - Introduction to Welding (10)
- ELTN 130 - Introduction to Electronics (3)
- ARCH 014 - Materials and Processes of Construction (2)
- ART 036A - Jewelry-Metal Fabrication (3)
- FASH 001A - Fashion Survey (3)
- DT 101 - Fabrication Laboratory (2)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.