The curriculum prepares students to seek employment in fire protection and related fields in federal, state, local and private fire protection agencies. Instruction is offered in all phases of the fire service and provides the student with a thorough understanding of fire science and the fireground.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Discuss the role of the fire service in the community and the importance of its Mission Statement.
- Identify variables that impact the growth/spread/hazards of structure fires.
- Describe different safeguards for fire prevention risks in flammable liquids, solid storage and storage of gasses.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize a hazardous materials incident based on auditory and visual clues.
- Define typical fire detection and alarm systems.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 41
- FIRE 110 – Introduction to Fire Technology (3)
- FIRE 112 – Fundamentals of Fire Behavior and Control (3)
- TECH 107A – Technical Calculations (3)
- ENGL 001A – Reading and Composition (4)
or ENGL 100 – Reading and Writing Skills (4)
- FIRE 114 – Fundamentals of Fire Prevention (3)
- FIRE 116 – Fire Fighting Tactics and Strategy (3)
- FIRE 120A – Hazardous Materials (3)
- SPCH 001 – Fundamentals of Speech (3)
or SPCH 010 – Interpersonal Communication (3)
- FIRE 124 – Applied Chemistry (3)
- FIRE 128 – Fundamentals of Fire Protection Equipment and Detection (3)
- KINA 037 – Police-Fire Agility Training (1)
- FIRE 115 – Fundamentals of Personal Safety and Emergency Action (3)
- FIRE 142 – Building Construction for Fire Protection (3)
- FIRE 146 – Fire Investigation (3)
- BLDG 213 – Building Construction Codes and Standards (3)
- ELTY 217 – Electrical Inspection and Codes (2)
- FIRE 120B – Hazardous Materials (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.