Automotive Technology- Engine Performance Technician
The curriculum prepares the student for entry-level employment in automotive engine performance. Students enrolling will have the opportunity to receive instruction and hands-on experience in diagnosing and repairing automotive engine drivability problems, carburetion, electronic fuel injection, ignition systems, emission testing and applicable laws. The use of precision equipment including lab scopes, engine and emission analyzers and other specialty tools is emphasized. Students must provide or purchase, if necessary, their own required hand tools.
Students are encouraged to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Exams for Engine Performance (A8) and Advanced Engine Performance (L1).
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Prepare students for successful completion of the Automotive Service Excellence examination, A8 – Engine Performance.
- Demonstrate and integrate the proper set up and operation of engine diagnostic tools used in the automotive industry.
- Describe fuel system, ignition system and emission system fundamentals of operation and apply these theories to practical diagnostic scenarios encountered during engine performance repairs.
- Apply skill sets pertaining to the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) standards
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- AUTO 200 - Automotive Fundamentals for Technicians (4)
- ELTN 130 - Introduction to Electronics (3)
- AUTO 050 - Automotive Electrical Systems (3)
- AUTO 220 - Engine Operation and Testing (5)
- AUTO 151 - Automotive Electronics (4)
- AUTO 226 - Engine Performance (5)
- AUTO 227 - Advanced Engine Performance (5)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.