The curriculum prepares students for working in various food services industries. Graduates of the program qualify to seek employment in restaurants, cafeterias, hotels, health care facilities, and educational institutions as cooks, bakers, and assistant and training managers.
Instruction is offered in all phases of food preparation and presentation. Studies emphasize foods, terms and techniques, safety and sanitation, baking, catering, food preparation, menu planning, merchandising, and restaurant management. Students are kept informed of industry trends through guest speakers, trade publications, and field trips to local industries and culinary shows. All students participate daily in the kitchen lab in planning, preparing and serving cafeteria and special event meals.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate the academic skills and abilities to enter a career in the Food Services and Culinary Arts fields.
- Demonstrate the recognition of the need for lifelong learning in the fields of Food Services and Culinary Arts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the sanitation requirements, ethical and social responsibilities of a career in Food Services and Culinary Arts fields.
- Demonstrate the value of teamwork in the fields of Food Services and Culinary Arts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the career paths available in Cooking, Baking and Catering professions.
- Produce quality food using the manipulative skills and technical training they received at Pasadena City College.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 40
- CUL 145A - Introduction to Culinary Arts/Food Services (10)
- CUL 145B - Introduction to Food Services Production (10)
- CUL 145C - Quantity Cooking Techniques (10)
- CUL 145D - Special Events Management (10)
- CUL 154A - Introduction to Food Service Baking & Pastry (3)
- CUL 154B - Advanced Baking and Pastry (3)
- CUL 158 - Field Practice in Food Services (4)
- CUL 160A - Introduction to Catering (3)
- CUL 160B - Advanced Catering (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.