Biological Technology- Computational Biology
Today’s biotechnology companies depend on the ability of their employees to understand and use computational skills to handle large amounts of research data. This curriculum provides interdisciplinary skills required to seek employment at an entry level in performing data acquisition, management, and analysis in laboratory environments. The certificate program can also benefit working professionals seeking to advance or change their careers.
Students will learn programming, statistics, basic concepts of molecular biology, and use of bioinformatics applications and resources. The program emphasizes the skills necessary to become creative and flexible team members and leaders who can work with others in the dynamic interdisciplinary team environment found in today’s biotechnology companies.
Students in the certificate program will be required to complete a programming project in the Biology 028 class.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental concepts of molecular biology, including DNA, genes, proteins, and genomes.
- Use online resources such as NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) and bioinformatics applications to research and analyze biological data.
- Write computer programs to perform customized analyses of biological data, using statistical measures to determine the significance of results.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required Units: 17
- CIS 010 - Introduction to Information Systems (3)
And one of the following:
- BIOL 039 - Modern Human Genetics (4)
- BIOL 102A - Biological Technology - Basic Techniques (3)
- BIOL 102B - Biological Technology - Advanced Techniques (3)
- STAT 018 - Statistics for Behavioral and Social Sciences (4)
STAT 050 - Elementary Statistics (4)
- CIS 036 - Introduction to Visual Basic (3)
BIOL 028 - Introduction to Bioinformatics (3)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.