Business Information Technology - Administrative Assistant
The curriculum prepares students for business positions such as administrative assistant, secretary, executive assistant, and office assistant. Employees in these types of positions perform a variety of administrative tasks including document processing, using computer applications such as presentation graphics and spreadsheets, scheduling appointments, researching and organizing information, and arranging meetings and travel.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be prepared to take the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification exams in Word, Outlook, and Excel.
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded upon completion of all required courses with a grade of C or better.
- Develop work habits to function as a team member with people of diverse experiences and backgrounds in a workplace environment.
- Apply standard business English to oral and written communications in support of a business office, including the production and design of complex electronic and paper-based correspondence and documents.
- Determine appropriate information technology tools to access, manage, integrate, and create information.
- Formulate solutions to business problems by using the Internet, current and emerging computer applications, records management, and standard business procedures.
- Demonstrate self-management and self-awareness in terms of workplace responsibility and productivity.
- Demonstrate the ability to competently use a wide variety of office systems, including computers, web-based workspaces, and video conferencing.
Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
Required units: 26
- BIT 011 - Business Document Processing (2)
- BIT 025 - Survey of Computer Technology in Business (3)
- BUS 009 - Introduction to Business (3)
- BUS 107 - Business Software-Windows (1)
- BIT 106 - Business Software-Introduction to Microsoft Office System (3)
- BIT 108 - Microsoft Outlook and Productivity Tools (1)
- BIT 115 - Business Records Skills (1)
- BIT 122 - Internet Research for Business (1)
- BUS 112 - Business English (3)
- BIT 117 - Collaborative Web-Based Workspaces (1)
- BIT 133 - Administrative Business Procedures (3)
- BIT 124 - Business Software-Microsoft Word (2)
- BIT 128 - Business Software-Microsoft Excel (2)
- BIT 105 - Business Software-Microsoft Access (2)
- BIT 109 - Business Software-Microsoft PowerPoint (2)
Earn an Associate of Science Degree With Your Certificate of Achievement
An AS Degree prepares you with the unique skills needed to enter a specialized career field. Earned in conjunction with a Certificate of Achievement, it will open up further opportunities for career advancement.
To earn your AS degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements for an AS degree in addition to the above listed Certificate of Achievement Requirements.