Resumes & Cover Letters
Creating a Resume
The benefits of having a resume are many and most jobs require one, so it is a good idea to have one prepared. Creating a resume can help you:
- Impress an employer.
- Prepare for an interview.
- Build confidence by listing your strengths.
- Advertise your skills and qualifications.
- Think about your attributes and how to describe them.
If you’re not sure how to start a resume, we can help! We offer the following resources and services to help you begin building your resume:
- Attend the workshop “First Impressions - Building a Strong Resume”.
- Make an appointment with a career professional.
- Get your thoughts together using our Resume Worksheet
- Browse our resume books in the Career Library.
- Check out our Sample Resume and Writing Tips.
- Review Resume Do’s and Don'ts.
Read through FAQs for College Students.
You might feel that a cover letter is just repeating everything that's already in your resume, but really a cover letter is your chance to show more of who you are to a potential employer while personally introducing yourself! Some examples of things you can include in your cover letter are:
- Why you want the job
- Key aspects of your resume that you want to stand out
- Personality traits
- Your goals as they relate to the job
For more in-depth information, check out our Sample Cover Letter and Writing Tips handout.